Resources & Links
The veterinary resources featured on this page provide useful information to pet owners on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care.
Taking care of your cat - excellent resources from Cat Friendly Home
- Choosing the right cat carrier
- Keep your cat happy with the right litter and litter pan
- How to feed your cat
- Meeting your cat's special needs at home
- Common cat behavior needs
- Giving Your Cat Medications
Does your cat have arthritis?
Training your cat
- Did you know cats are naturals for agility training?
- Check out the International Cat Agility
- There is lots of information on how to get started training your cat including videos
- Cats get board if they don't have things to do - agility training helps both their mental and physical health and you will have fun, too
- And if your cat is a star you can enter competitions!
- Dr. Jen's Dog Blog — Read the adventures and musings of a behavior vet and dog trainer.
- Food Puzzles For Cats — Learn how foraging toys can help cats overcome behavioral issues.
- Stop the 77— Did you know that 77% of dogs bites come from the family dog or a friend's dog? This website has great videos to teach children how to interact with dogs with the goal of preventing dog bites.
- The Muzzle Up! Project — Everything you need to know about muzzles.
- Preventing Dog Bites — Learn how to avoid dog bites.
- Liam J. Perk Foundation — Safety tips for families.
- Dog and Babies — Read this article to learn why you should be cautious about letting your baby be magnetized by dogs.
- Fear Free Happy Home with Your Puppy - New puppy at home, learn about house training, socialization, crate training and more.
- Fear Free Happy Home Common Behavior Concerns - Learn about common behavior problems including jumping up, leash pulling and more.
Highly Recommended Local Trainers who are great trainers and use positive reinforcement. Positive, consistent training has been proven to be the best way to help dogs learn.
Fear Free Pet Care
How to Give Medication
The best time to spay and neuter dogs
- The University of California study on when to spay or neuter dogs by breed
- More information from the University of California about when to spay/neuter
- When to spay and neuter mixed breed dogs by weight
- More information about when to spay and neuter mixed breed dogs
- Cat Food Database from Dr. Lisa Pierson - includes carbohydrate and calorie info for many wet cat foods
- Hill's Pet Nutrition
- Royal Canin
- Purina Pro Plan
Pet Grief Support
Pet Poison Control
- American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)
- American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- The Cat Community
- Cornell Feline Health Center
- How To Love Your Dog
- Ohio State University's Indoor Pet Initiative
- Parasite Facts and Maps (Companion Animal Parasite Council)
- Resources for Cat Owners
- Virginia Veterinary Medical Association (VVMA)
Animal Breed Associations
Pet Insurance / Payment Options
- We recommend all pet parents should consider pet insurance. The best time to get insurance is when your pet is healthy and doesn't have any pre-existing conditions. We don't recommend any insurance companies.
Teaching Your Dog To Wear a Muzzle
This video from Care for Reactive Dogs, shows you how to train your dog to associate their muzzle with rewards like treats and play.
Cats & Carriers: Friends Not Foes
Watch this video by the CATalyst Council about training your cat to use the cat carrier.